Thursday 23 August 2012

Santa Rosa here I come...

The rest of the California coast was pretty spectacular! had my first lemon cucumber that a veggie lady gave me...wasn't that lemony but it made for a great lunch on our last day in the Redwoods.  Since I was heading inland; Noah, Andrew, Dylan and I only had a couple more nights together.  Luckily the weather in the afternoons was great.  Found out that it takes until 11:00 for the fog to burn off on the coast...but I also found out that San Francisco is just as foggy this time of year...great!  Well at least Santa Rosa is in a valley so the riding won't be quite as cold there...plus the wine and beer should warm me up as well.


After all the blackberries we'd been picking along the way, we got a blackberry popsicle from the veggie stand lady.


Last day in the Redwoods...this is an incredible ride and I would suggest it to anyone and everyone!


There's that non-lemony lemon cucumber.  I AM NOT DOING IT JUSTICE...it was very, very, very good....and free.


Did I eat the whole thing to myself...


...you bet I did.  It was 35 degrees out, lots of climbing and we still had 20 miles to go.  540 calories...no problem.  I LOVE CYCLING!  Also that Phish Food Ben & Jerry's is superb!


After the Leggett hill (which was NOTHING compared to that ridiculous 10 mile climb up Meadow Lake Rd...see previous post).   When I'm riding Janet, I tend to snack on Lara's most of the way...plus there are way more flavours down here than at home...cappuccino, banana bread, ginger snap...ohhhh yeah!


This is John from Eugene, we got to ride together for a day.  


Last day of riding with the boys before I headed inland towards Santa Rosa.  We got a nice old German lady to stand in the middle of the Hwy to take this photo.


What turned out to be the steepest hill on the coast....it was close to Meadow Lk Rd but luckily not 10 miles long.


...Dylan wanted more.


One of the great stretches on the last day.  Tailwind, no fog and great views.



Janet's view.


Another great brewery just south of Santa Rosa, Lagunitas brewing.  Lagunitas Lucky 13 Alt beer has now turned into one of my favourite beers of the trip...but I know Pliny the Elder is awaiting me in Santa Rosa.


Last night together...Noah had trouble holding still for 4 seconds.


After the boys had continued on towards San Francisco on the coast, I slept in since it was only a 40 mile ride to where I was staying in Santa Rosa.  When I left...it was intense fog.  Couldn't see 50 metres in front of me, which after getting used to was nice riding.  Plus I'd forgotten how nice it is to ride solo.


Break in the fog as soon as I turned inland.


Unscheduled 2nd breakfast stop...Strawberry and Cream muffins..come on!


...and I had to have the crab and eggs as well.


I happened to have arrived in Santa Rosa just as the farmers market started.  After meeting up with my host Ann and her friend Ron, we headed out to checkout the market....and of course a pint of Pliny at Russian River Brewing.

And that's it so far, just 3 more days and I should be in San Francisco after a night on Mt. Diablo and a visit to the boys and girls at Rivendell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment