Wednesday 29 August 2012

Rivendell arrival!!!

My 2 days in Santa Rosa were filled with lots of great beer and a discovery of the best grocery store chain...Trader Joes.  $2.99 Chardonnay...and it was great!  My host Annie and I had a great dinner where we swapped biking stories and I gave her some tips on places to check out on her upcoming trip to Montreal.

Then it was off to wine country, Sonoma and Napa Valleys.  Great riding, was able to get a free bike map from a company that does bike wine tours and that way I avoided the somewhat busy Hwy.  AND got to sample a few grapes along the way since the wine route was dotted with vineyards right next to the road.  After my one night in wine country, the day had finally arrived where I would reach Rivendell Bike Works...hard to describe 3 years of waiting to get down there and ride around the area that I had only seen photos of.  If you check out there website, you'll see what I mean.  I had emailed them in advance cause I needed a campsite for the night.  Once I got there, Grant Petersen drew me a couple maps to his favourite spots...COME ON!  These guys could not have been nicer!  Hung out at the shop for a few hours before heading to Whole Foods to splurge on what would be my official last night of the tour.  Couple nice beers, salad with mango, and eggs/bacon for breakfast.  Regretted the decision almost immediately once I got to Shell Ridge open area where the trails started...way more pushing the bike uphill than I was planning.  BUT, once I got to the spot I was gonna camp (for free) it all melted away.  By far the best site of the entire tour, and with Mt Diablo in the background...I was feeling pretty good!


On the way to Trader Joe's in Santa Rosa I passed by this obelisk...and as it turns out it is made entirely out of bike parts and frames...see below.



Aahhhh Russian River Brewing...Happy hour was totally worth it.  Luckily I wasn't too far from the place I was staying at.  Because of the proximity I justified 5 beers.


$2.99 Chardonnay with a cute girl on it...come on.  Plus Trader Joe's own dark chocolate was great as well!


Annie and I's last night filled with wine, chocolate and veggie tacos.


On the way through wine country...


Wanted to go taste some...but the cheapest tasting I could find was $7 for 2 glasses??!!  No way, had a nice bottle when I got to my campsite that night (coincidently called the Pacific Coast Highway Pinot Grigio)


Downtown Sonoman, pretty nice but also very 'fake' except for the original theatre.


Leaving Sonoma, entering Napa County.


Fuckin rrriiiIIIGGGHHHT!!  


The shop is so small, yet perfectly laid out with great photos!


After getting a map from Rivendell, I headed towards the hills.  I HAVE ARRIVED!!


...and then had to get off my bike and start pushing up some of those hills.


But with Mt. Diablo in the background, my night was looking up.


Free camping with an incredible view!


Totally worth the extra effort up those hills.


First bacon/cheesy eggs since Portland.  I didn't really want to leave, but San Francisco was calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment