Friday 31 August 2012

San Francisco Black and Whites

When I got to Alcatraz Island, I figured to capture the mood I should try a little Nostalgic photography.  Funny story, as it turns out it's WAY harder to get tickets if you're only in town for a couple days.  When I first went down to ask about a ticket, there was a sign that told me there was a 1 week wait...WHAT!?  So I went up and asked the guy if they ever have cancellation tickets, etc.  As I found out they do sell same day tickets for the first 2 sailings of the day (9:00, 9:30) but you have to get there early to get in line.  So the next day I was in line with my coffee at 7:00am...after a 30 minute bus ride from where I was staying.  Luckily I managed to get a ticket and it was totally worth it!


Also, turns out there are 3 companies that sail to/around the island but only one that actually drops you off.  This was the view from the boat on the way to the prison.  The other companies come from the other side which I think is the better view.





Broadway


View from 'the hole'.


View from the Warden's office...not bad.


1962 escape attempt....also featured in the movie 'Escape from Alcatraz' with Clint Eastwood.


The 'playground'


View from just below the yard...must've been rough looking out onto those hills.


Heading back towards civilization.

Other shots from around the city:


Ferry Building Marketplace.  3 farmers markets a week!  Great food shops inside!


Musee Mechanique.  This is an old penny arcade (which is false advertising cause it costs at least a quarter to play anything).  BUT the games there are super fun.  I especially liked these two games...




All of the games were cased in wood, really beautiful stuff!


After I got my Alcatraz ticket, I headed back to get another coffee and chill out in the harbour for the NEXT 3 HOURS!


Russian District...just around the corner from where I was staying.


No comments:

Post a Comment