Saturday 11 August 2012

Insert Portlandia theme song here...

Thought it was pretty funny that as I left Portland I got to run into Fred Armisen...I'll be dining/drinking out on that story for a while I hope.

So it took us just over 120 miles to get from Seaview, WA into Portland, OR.  What was the first thing I did? I'm glad you asked:


So once the formalities were out of the way, Noah and I made our way over to the house we were staying at while in Portland.  One of the guys that worked at the campsite we stayed in before getting to Portland offered us his living room in the SouthEast for our time there.  This could not have worked out better...since some of the breweries that I wanted to try were right around there.  Both HUB and Hair of the Dog Brewing were pretty good, but this round goes to Bridgeport Brewing's Hop Czar!  Might be the best IPA I've had in my Portland travels so far...although my list is still missing 8 of the 24 breweries in town.

So we got to use this great house as a base of operations for our 2 days in Portland.  The house itself was pretty incredible, bikes everywhere and lots of bike decorations outside.  We also got to room with a nice black cat called Mudball and the only room mate who was in town Peter.  Thanks go out to Peter for introducing me to Mulberry's.  Heard lots about them, got my first sample in Portland. 


Mr. Mudball



The South East house backyard hangout.




Hard to describe the taste, you'll just have to find them yourself.


Mudball trying to get his paws on my salmon..

Janet was in need of some repairs once we got settled in.  I took her to clever cycles cause I wanted to get a good route out of town.  The mechanic there said I needed a new BB but they didn't have the size.  So a short trip over to River City Cycles to get the part I needed revealed that only the cups were loose so instead of $40, just $15 and she was good as new!  Plus we got a great route out of town.  Ended up taking the train (for free) about 1 hour out of Portland so we didn't have to ride through the industrial part of town and then rode from there to the coast.   As we left, we also got to ride over the newly installed bike counter on the Hawthorne St Bridge.  Apparently the city claims it as North America's first, but I read this article that  says Ottawa already has one...so suck it Portland!


Janet at River City in for repairs...sniff.


While I waited for Janet to get fixed, took a walk around Water Ave with some beers.  



This is Clinton, a new area I got to explore while staying in the South East.  Really fun, reminded me a lot of Fernwood.


Only up for one day and already I am the 2140th cyclist to cross the bridge.


Last day breakfast...it was incredible: 222...2 eggs, 2 latkes, 2 thick pieces of pastrami.  


Right across from where mum and I stayed last time in Portland.


On our way out of town on the MAX line.  Saved us about 20 miles.  

More to come later...



No comments:

Post a Comment