Tuesday 7 August 2012

Made it to Portland in 6 days, pretty happy about that!  Now I've got some time to continue the quest to try the other 12 breweries I haven't been to yet!!!


What a great send-off from Victoria...cheesburgers and root-beer floats with Lizard...

Besides the one day where it was 40 degrees out and I was riding through the clearcuts with no shade in sight (thought I was done with those until next spring), the riding has been pretty great.  Just the right amount of hills to keep things interesting, lots of incredible views and a gentleman called Noah who might be riding with me down to San Francisco!  The route so far has been San Juan Island, then Anacortes down to Port Townsend.  After that I followed the Hood Canal, crossed the state on that RIDICULOUSLY HOT DAY to South Bend.  Luckily by the time I reached Raymond (5 miles before South Bend) I ran into the end of the town's festival.  Not only was I greeted with a cold beer and oysters, but I met this great guy called Jimmy who let me stay in his motorhome for the night!  That night, the heat brought out everyone in town for evening strolls while Jimmy and I sat outside his art gallery rapping about life and drinking cold beers....it was great!

Noah and I met the next day on the ride down to Long Beach (which is much longer than the one in Tofino), after chatting on our bikes, we decided to ride together for the next little while.  I convinced him to come to Portland with me for a few days...and here we are.


Lavender farm on San Juan Island.  To everyone in Victoria, this is an incredible island to tour around on a bike.  Plus the state camping site looks back towards our great little town...see below.



Goodnight Victoria.


Chia seeds in the morning...thought I would try something new on this trip. The texture is pretty disgusting, the closest thing I can use to describe it is swallowing egg sacs from the movie Alien.  We'll see how long I last.


Friday Harbour, leaving the islands.


Crossing the bridge at Deception Pass.



Second morning, but what a great campsite!


Complete with some kind of mushroom cluster.  Haven't found out what they're called yet but they were EVERYWHERE!!



Forgot that I hadn't pre-ground the ol' coffee before I left.  Found a good system though...




Fruit didn't really help the egg sacs go down...I ate the fruit first and then chugged the sacs as quick as i could.  They do keep you very full which is nice.


Skywalker has now crossed Canada, Northern Europe and is on his way down to San Francisco.


Cruising the Hood Canal.  Incredible bike ride!


My lodgings at the end of that stupid hot day...thank you Jimmy!


Jimmys art gallery in South Bend, WA.


The Sou'Wester lodge in Seaview, WA.  This is the place to stay if you are camping!  They also rent out furnished old-school airstream trailers if you're driving through.  They're super nice ladies!


Cruising the bike path along Long Beach...it's pretty long.


Janet chilling on the beach.


Astoria bridge...4.1 miles long (Noah and I had a bet going to see how long it was, I won with 4.5...YEAH)


Ready to drink some beer in Portland!


No comments:

Post a Comment