Friday 26 August 2011

Crusing the 'Dube and at last...Wien!

Could not have asked for nicer weather for the last few days of my trip.  It was so hot that I stopped several times for celebratory beers/wine along the way.  It worked out pretty well since the bike path took me through the Wachau wine region.  Plus, with lots of fruit stands along the way I didn't have to bring any more food along with me.  It actually reminded me a bit of Osoyoos and the Okanagan.  The last day also turned out to be the longest of the trip.  It beat out the trip from Cap Gris Nez to Bruges by at least 15km...I think the final total was around 145km.  Maybe a ltitle longer since I got lost in Vienna.  BUT, as it turns out, the city has great bike paths with lots of signage!  I ended up at the Prata (fairground with the biggest ferris wheel) by accident.  But after that it was easy to find my way to the house.  And that cold beer tasted pretty, pretty, pretty good!

Last day in Schoenering...picked up some nice Austiran 'cider' from the
schnapps guy.  Bottle was gone pretty fast.

First dinner on the danube...'Steckerlfisch'...translation...fish on a stick.
Mackerel and a whole bottle of Gruner Vetliner, couldn't have asked
for a better last night of the trip.


This did make it a little nicer.  INSANE clouds dancing in the sky.

Wine country.

Civilization has arrived....and with that...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!  As soon as I get into town...flat.  That makes
4 for the whole trip.  

Prata Stern...Skywalker and the Ferris Wheel.

Final bike path to the Wald's house.  Incredible trip!

Already thinking about the cold beer.

Father and daughter accompanied me for
the last 200 metres.

A cold Puntigamer beer upon arrival...prost.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fantasmic trip so far, Pat!! Wish I was there, too:-)

    Stay safe, dahling!
    Me & the boys

    ReplyDelete