Wednesday 17 August 2011

BRUTAL 10hr train ride and then finally...the danube bike path!

So getting the train proved to be more difficult than I had planned.  First off, the first train ticket I reserved...didn't allow bikes.  SO, luckily the lady didn't charge me and then found another ticket for me...which was 4 hours longer.  So I sucked it up, because it was slower I figured it would be cheaper...oh yeah, 4 Euros cheaper.  Either way, I go to get on the train the next morning...both conductors tell me the train doesn't allow bikes...even though I have a reservation for the bike.  So I run back downstairs to double-check with the ticket counter, yes bikes are allowed, run back upstairs...bikes not allowed.  I start pleading because the train leaves in 5 minutes....finally, I can take the caboose and lean the bike against the back of the train.  At least I'm on the train, that's gotta be it.  Then Luxembourg happened...they tell me that I can't book a spot for my bike on the next 2 trains I have to take.  So luckily I was able to sweet-talk the next two conductors to let me on with my bike.  I was pretty wasted by the time I finally hit the danube.

I'm on the danube...right on.

Me and Janet the day before...in the caboose.

2nd train, new spot for Janet.



The last half of the train ride went through German wine country.

Janet's last parking spot.  Ended up getting the last slot.

First day on the danube.

One of the two ferry rides I got to take.

I've been waiting for this for 2 years.  Austrian Pilsner and a mixed
salad.  Ohhhhhh man it was good.


More swans than I remember.

Touchdown Schoenering.  With new wine grapes growing up the side
of the house.




No comments:

Post a Comment